Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Day 4

Day 4 focused on making our homes a place that people feel comfortable and able to "put their feet up."  This is something that I definitely strive for and is an area that I think I'm definitely making improvements in.  I'm really trying to keep the main areas of my home "company ready" within 15 minutes and that has allowed me to open my doors more readily and without the stress that normally comes with short notice.  When I read the chapter the first thing that popped into my mind was the mother of one of my friends from back home.  Jan was (and is) a wonderful example of what this looks like in action.  Throughout our high school/college years she was always willing to invite us into her home without a second thought.  She became the second mother for many of us and always had the makings for cookies on hand.  The atmosphere of welcome and belonging permeates my memories and is something that I aspire to have in my own home.

Our Martha challenge was the clean the stove, oven and microwave.  I wish I'd taken before pictures, but to be honest I didn't really think it was that bad - until I cleaned it and now I can see how shiny it is!!  The biggest change was the window in the door of my oven.  Somehow it had become streaked with something and nothing I ever did would clean it off.  Today I ran the self clean option on the oven and after it was finished I took a rag and wet it down and the window wiped right off and is sparkling.  It's the little things that can make such a big difference!!

No comments: